Established in 1892 by Jamsetji Nusserwanjee Tata, the Promoter of the Tata Group, The JN Tata Endowment awards merit-based loan scholarships to students across India for higher studies overseas. Every year, 90 to 100 scholars are selected across disciplines ranging from the sciences (applied, pure, and social) to management, law and commerce and the fine arts.
- Candidates should be Indians, not older than 45 years as of June 30, 2024, and graduates of a recognised Indian university with at least 60% marks on average in their undergraduate or postgraduate studies. Candidates are not eligible to apply if their undergraduate degree is not from a recognised university in India.
- The course to which candidates are admitted must be recognized as a Graduate Program (post-graduate in Indian terminology).
- Candidates who did not get selected in the previous year/earlier for the loan scholarship and candidates who could not avail of the loan scholarship when they were selected are eligible to apply a fresh.
- Candidates who are already pursuing postgraduate studies abroad may apply either at the end of their first year of studies or at the commencement of the second year, provided there is a minimum of one full academic year (12 months) remaining to be completed at the time of the loan scholarship award, typically in July of any calendar year.
- Candidates in the final year of their degree courses and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply, even if they do not have the admission/offer letters while filling the application form from the universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2024-2025. However, they must update their application status with the Endowment once they secure admission by sending an appropriate email to email@example.com, quoting the reference number which appears on the top left side of the form.
- J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship amount are eligible to apply.
- Candidates going overseas for seminars, conferences, training, workshops, paper presentations, undergraduate studies, and any post-graduate degree/diploma/certificates through distance learning or online mediums are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates planning to pursue postgraduate and undergraduate studies in India are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who are planning to study for a diploma of at least one year duration, whose entry level requirement is higher secondary level, are not eligible to apply.
Loan scholarship of up to INR 10 lakh
The entire scholarship program comprises four phases and candidates will be informed about the status of their application at the end of each phase.
Phase 1 – ends on 15th March 2024, the final date of submission of the application
- Candidate’s photo (500 * 500 pixels in jpeg format)
- Aadhaar card
- Passport (first & last page)
- Marksheet / Transcript/s for each academic qualification
- Statement of Purpose (SoP)
- Work experience certificate from previous the employer (applicable for working professionals)
- Appointment letter from the existing employer (applicable for working professionals)
- Latest filed ITR/3 months’ pay slips (applicable for working professionals)
Phase 2 –Online Test
No documents are required.
Phase 3 – Interview with Subject Expert
- Letter of admission to the University
- A letter of Recommendation (LOR) specifically addressed to “The Trustees of the J N Tata Endowment” either from a Professor of the College or University or the employer, in case the candidate is/was working
- Final year marksheets / degree certificate
- Scorecards (GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS/PTE)
- Certificate of scholarships/ranking/prizes (if any)
- Certificates relating to co-curricular and extra-curricular achievements
- Research work/Project work (only one)
- Cost of education
- Source of funds
Phase 4 – Final Selection
- Candidate’s PAN card
- Candidate’s cancelled cheque / latest bank statement
- Guarantor’s PAN card and Aadhar card
- Guarantor’s passport size photograph (500*500 pixels in jpeg format)
- Guarantor’s income proof / latest filed ITR
NOTE: All documents should be uploaded in a grayscale pdf suitably named to identify the nature of the document being shared.
Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to start the application.